In order to maintain a healthy and safe home, some yearly cleaning is needed. This includes cleaning your windows, air ducts and dryer vents. But how do you know when it’s time to clean your duct work? And how are ducts cleaned?
You may have heard that duct cleaning is a myth and unnecessary. However, professional cleaning can promote clean air, protect the environment and lower your energy costs. We shall discuss the benefits of ductwork cleaning, and more, in the following blog.
How Are Ducts Cleaned? Q&A About Duct and Vent Cleaning
How Often Do I Need to Clean My Air Ducts?
It is advised to have your duct cleaned at least once every two years. More so, however, if you have pets or live with a smoker or anyone who has health issues. It is also recommended to clean your vents if you have done any work in your home.
How Do I Know When I Need to Have my Ductwork Cleaned?
There are a few telltale signs that it’s time to hire a professional air duct cleaning team. Look for the following signs:
- Does anyone in your home smoke? If anyone in your home smokes or vapes, you should clean your air ducts at least once a year. Smoke can get trapped in the vent work and leave behind an unpleasant odor that is also unhealthy,, especially to those with health issues.
- Do you own pets? If you own any furry friends it is best to clean your ducts annually as pet dander can get trapped in the ductwork.
- Have you noticed insects and rodents in your home? If your home is suddenly infested with bugs or your are noticing rodent droppings, or have spotted rodents, your duct work needs to be cleaned as soon as possible.
- Have you recently renovated your home? Any recent home renovations or improvements can also indicate that your need duct cleaning. Fiberglass, dust, dirt and other particles can get trapped in your ductwork during the renovation process which can lower the quality of the air your breathe on a daily basis. Also, if you have purchased a brand new home, you should clean the duct work system. If you have just moved, it is also a good idea to clean the ducts, as there is no way you can tell the last time the ducts were cleaned professionally.
- Have your energy bills suddenly skyrocketed? A sudden increase in heating and cooling costs can indicate that your need your ducts cleaned. If your system is clogged with dirt and dust, it will have to work twice as hard, which makes a noticeable difference in monthly energy costs. As a bonus, cleaning your vents will extend the life of your HVAC system.
- Does anyone in your home have health issues? Dirty air vents directly affect the air quality of your home. Air vents should be cleaned at least once a year if anyone in your home suffers from breathing problems or allergies.
- Is there mold or dust in your home? An increase of dust is a clear cut sign that you need to clean your ducts. As well, if you are noticing mold growth, you should clean the duct system, as mold can cause serious health problems.
How Are Ducts Cleaned?
A professional cleaning team will use the proper equipment approved by the EPA to thoroughly clean your duct work. They will clean the duct work system in its entirety including the HVAC system, ductwork and vents. They will inspect the system for any cracks, leaks, defects or damages and make any necessary repairs at this time. They will leave your home clean and your home will be free of allergens and other air pollutants.
Call Comfort Clean for professional air duct and vent cleaning. We will provide you with a free quote as well as the best cleaning team in the area.