As you are preparing for the upcoming winter, you are probably thinking about cleaning projects to help protect your home. This may include cleaning your gutters, washing your windows, and even air duct cleaning. But, is air duct cleaning necessary? Does it have any real benefits?
In this article, we shall highlight the benefits of air duct cleaning. Also, we shall provide you with some tips on how to find the best air duct cleaning services.
Is Duct Cleaning Necessary?
We are sure that you are probably asking yourself is air duct cleaning worth it? Or, is it just a waste of time and money? Is it actually beneficial for your home or your health?
Are you concerned about the quality of the air you breathe in your home? Does anyone in your home suffer from allergies? Asthma, COPD, emphysema, or other breathing conditions? If the answer to any of these questions is yes, then you should most certainly consider having your air ducts professionally cleaned.
The EPA recommends professional air duct cleaning if your HVAC system or air ducts are backed up with dirt or other contaminants. Following are some other reasons why you should have your air ducts cleaned.
- HVAC/duct cleaning should be done if you have had any recent home renovations, especially if this involved asbestos or lead paint removal.
- If your home is infested with insects, rodents, or animals (squirrels, raccoons, etc.) you should first contact animal control to safely remove the source. Next, you should have your air ducts cleaned by a professional to remove any droppings, etc.
- Have you noticed any mold/mildew growth on your ductwork? Is there a musty smell coming from your HVAC system? As mold can cause serious health problems, air duct cleaning is a must in this scenario.
- If you have recently cleaned your air ducts and they are still contaminated, you should have them cleaned professionally to avoid any further contamination.
- Does anyone in your home suffer from allergies or breathing issues? Have these suddenly worsened with no real cause? Dirty air ducts could be the reason. Dust, pet dander, and other allergens could be trapped in the HVAC system and make these conditions worse. Having your air ducts cleaned can eliminate the problem.
Tips on Choosing a Company to Clean Your Air Ducts
- Make sure that the company possesses proper licenses and certifications. Check to see that these are up to date.
- Ask for recommendations. Check with friends, family members, and neighbors. Do some online research. Read off-site reviews about the company, as these tend to be less biased.
- Speak with at least three air duct cleaning companies. Ask for an estimate and find out if they guarantee their services. A reliable company will not charge you for a quote for duct cleaning.
Still wondering, is air duct cleaning necessary? Give us a call at Comfort Clean. We can help you assess the situation and make a professional recommendation whether you should have your air ducts cleaned.