Duct cleaning How often should homeowners clean their air ducts? If you are a homeowner, this is probably something that has crossed your mind at least once.
In this article, we will provide you with some insight into duct cleaning such as when it needs to be done and some of the benefits.
Duct Cleaning How Often?
How often should you do duct cleaning? According to the EPA, it should only be done in the event that your ducts are contaminated. However, other health agencies such as the NADCA (National Air Duct Cleaning Association) recommend that you have your ducts cleaned at least once every three to five years.
What is Air Duct Cleaning?
As part of the HVAC system in your home, air ducts help move the air around your home to provide circulation. Everyone who lives in or visits your home is breathing in the air that flows through these ducts. If not properly cared for, these can become dirty and contaminated, causing the air to be full of pollutants and other irritants.
If anyone living in your home suffers from any type of respiratory issues such as asthma, emphysema or COPD, poor air quality can severely impact their health. Therefore, to ensure that the air in your home is clean and healthy, it is a good idea to have your air ducts cleaned by a professional cleaning company.
Benefits of Cleaning Your Air Ducts
- If there have been any renovations done on your home, it is a good decision to have your air ducts cleaned. This is crucial if you have recently had asbestos or lead paint removed from your home or attic.
- Have you noticed the presence of bugs, rodents or other critters inside your home? Infestation is a sign that your air ducts need a thorough cleaning.
- If anyone in your household smokes, you should most certainly have your air ducts cleaned professionally every few years. Smoke build up can cause your air ducts to become contaminated.
- Does anyone in your home suffer from allergies or breathing issues? As stated earlier, breathing unhealthy air can greatly impact the health of those with respiratory issues.
- Clean air ducts will put less pressure on your HVAC system and therefore will extend its lifetime. This will save you money on your utility costs.
- Are there signs of mold growth on your air ducts? Or do notice a mildew smell around that general area? Mold growth can also aggravate those with breathing issues. As well, mold illness can affect those without pre-existing health issues.
- Air duct cleaning will remove contaminants such as dust, pet dander, dead insects and other such debris from your air ducts. You will be able to relax knowing that the air in your home is clean and healthy.
Call Comfort Clean if you have any questions regarding duct cleaning how often and cost. We have the know-how and right equipment to professionally clean your air ducts.