Along with the many responsibilities of homeownership, Toronto area homeowners must also keep up with yearly cleaning, repairs, and maintenance. This includes furnace and duct cleaning. This cleaning should be incorporated into your regular spring cleaning, as it is the perfect time for such work.
Following, we will give you some brief insight into the importance of regular Toronto duct cleaning, as well as some helpful advice on routine maintenance.
Facts About Furnace and Duct Cleaning
Why Cleaning Furnace And Ducts Is Necessary
Duct and furnace cleaning is beneficial, as it can help extend the life of your HVAC system as well as your ductwork. Over time, dust, dirt, debris, and other irritants get trapped in the ductwork, which can lead to such issues as a possible house fire or health issues due to poor air quality.
Routine furnace and duct cleaning will rid your system of these irritants and pollutants, which can lead to clean air and help prevent fires. Moreover, it will cause your HVAC system to not have to work as hard, which leads to lower heating and cooling costs.
- A professional duct cleaner will access every part of your ductwork system to see if any repairs, cleaning, or maintenance is needed.
- They will then use a duct camera to see if there are any issues, such as pest infestation, mold, or other obstructions.
- They will then use high-tech duct cleaning equipment to thoroughly clean your entire air duct system.
*Duct cleaning should be conducted every three years; two if someone in your house is a smoker, as this can adversely affect the air quality of your home.
- A thorough inspection of ductwork for any potential blockages or leaks
- Accurate testing of thermostat and controls
- Carbon Monoxide testing
- Search for any loose wires or connections
- Test gas pressure
- Ensure that the system is providing maximum airflow to every vent in your home
- Clean and inspect the combustion chamber, motor blower, and heat exchanger
*You should have your furnace system inspected annually.
DIY Furnace and Duct Cleaning and Maintenance
- Following are some things you can do at home on your own to maintain your furnace and duct system.
Inspect the filter of your furnace. If it is discolored or dusty, it is time for a replacement. However, if there is an extreme buildup of debris and dust, it is time for professional duct cleaning. Also, you should wipe down the exterior of the unit with a damp cloth.
- Clean your exhaust fans: Any exhaust fans in your bathroom, kitchen, or basement should be cleaned annually. Turn off the fan, remove the cover and wash it with soapy, lukewarm water. Use a toothbrush to carefully clean the blades of the exhaust fan.
As we mentioned above, you should have your furnace system professionally inspected yearly and cleaned professionally every two to three years.
Contact the experts at Comfort Clean today to schedule your annual furnace and duct cleaning. We will provide you with a free estimate for our services.