Do you have a washer or dryer in your residence? How often do you clean your dryer lint trap? More importantly, how often should you clean it? There are many reasons why it is important to properly clean the lint trap of your dryer. The number one reason is fire prevention. Dirty lint traps have often been the cause of many house fires.
You should clean your dryer lint traps after each use, however, you can also schedule a professional dryer vent cleaning Toronto regularly. Here are some tips on how to clean your lint trap.
Why Is It Important To Clean Dryer Lint Trap?
The internal lint trap is normally located on the top or inside the dryer, in the front. The external vent is inside the wall. As newer dryers only carry lint and air for about 18-20 feet and average dryer vents are 20-30 feet, restricted air flow can cause blockage, which is a fire hazard. This is why you need to hire a professional to clean your dryer vents.
1. Clothes will dry faster: If your vents are dirty, the dryer will not get proper air flow, which will prevent your clothes from drying quickly. If it takes more than one cycle to dry your clothes, check the lint trap.
2. Help lower energy costs: A dirty lint trap will cause the dryer to work harder, which increases your energy costs.
3. Prolong the life of your dryer: A clean lint trap will prevent excess wear and tear, thus extending the life of your dryer.
4. Prevent house fires: Dryers generate a lot of heat, and since lint is extremely flammable, cleaning your lint trap regularly will help decrease the risk of fire.
Per Use Cleaning: Dryer Lint Trap
You should clean the lint trap each and every time you use the dryer to prevent excess buildup.
1. After each use, turn off the dryer and remove the lint screen from the lint trap by pulling it out gently. Pull it out of the trap completely before cleaning.
2. Remove the lint from the screen. Use a small amount of lint to remove the rest in a downward motion. The lint will attract the remaining lint like a magnet. Toss the lint into the garbage and replace the lint screen.
Monthly Cleaning: Dryer Lint Trap
Once a month, you should thoroughly clean your dryer lint trap to prevent the risk of a house fire.
- Remove and clean the lint screen as per usual.
- Use the soft brush attachment from your vacuum cleaner to clean the lint screen.
- Fill a bucket with mild soap, warm water, and 1/2 of white vinegar. Submerge the lint trap into the bucket and let it soak for about half an hour.
- Remove the screen from the bucket and scrub it with a soft cleaning brush to remove the excess lint.
- Rinse it thoroughly with warm water and allow to air dry. *Do not put it back in the lint trap until it is completely dry.
- Before you put the lint screen back, use the vacuum attachment to clean the clothes dryer, including the lint trap.
If you follow these simple steps, you should have no issues with your dryer lint trap. Call Comfort Clean to schedule a routine cleaning of your dryer vent.