Cleaning your dryer exhaust vent system should be an important part of your seasonal cleaning. Clean dryer vents are essential if you want to keep your home safe and healthy. It can prevent excessive wear and tear on your dryer as well as help prevent house fires.
Commercial duct cleaning performed by a professional cleaning company can help prolong the life of your dryer. In addition, it can help lower energy costs and promote clean air throughout your home. Continue reading to find out more.
Facts About Dryer Exhaust System
What Could Happen If You Neglect Your Dryer Exhaust Fan
If you do not regularly clean your dryer vents, it can be a potential household hazard. Clogged dryer vents are one of the number one causes of house fires. Also, they can cause excessive wear and tear on your dryer, which can lead to expensive repairs or even the need to have your dryer replaced. In addition, your dryer will have to run twice as long to fully dry your clothes, which leads to higher energy bills.
How to Tell If It Is Time to Clean Your Dryer Exhaust System
You will know if the dryer vent fan needs to be cleaned if you experience any of the following issues:
- If it smells like something is burning. If this is the case, immediately turn off and unplug your dryer and call the service department!
- If the clothes dryer is taking longer than usual to completely dry clothes.
- If you notice an excessive build-up of lint inside the dryer vent duct or on the dryer hose.
- If your clothes are extremely hot when you remove them from the dryer.
- If your dryer is very hot when you touch it.
- If it has been over a year since your dryer vent was cleaned.
How Often Should You Have Your Dryer Vents Cleaned?
The general rule is once a year to prevent fires and keep your dryer running properly. However, you might need it more frequently depending on the following circumstances:
- If you have a big household and do an excessive amount of laundry, as it causes lint to accumulate on the dryer vent much faster.
- Are there any pets in your home? Dog hair easily builds up on the dryer vent.
- If your dryer vent is located far away from the outside vent, you may need to clean your system more frequently.
Many homeowners think that they can clean their dryer vents on their own. While this might seem like a good idea (and a way to save money), it is really not practical. To properly clean the dryer vent system you need to possess the right tools and other equipment. Besides, you need the proper training and experience. Professional dryer vent cleaning should be scheduled at least once yearly for the average Canadian household.
Contact Comfort Clean for a free quote on how much it will cost to clean your dryer exhaust system. Our highly experienced staff possess the right training and the highest grade equipment needed to do the job right. Call us today to schedule the next available appointment.